Printing complex shapes with UPM Formi 3D – concrete casting moulds as a foundation for a fireplace
Manufacturing of complex shaped parts with high geometrical tolerances by large scale additive manufacturing require materials that have high dimensional stability. UPM Formi 3D fits well for producing complex concrete casting moulds. A Finnish manufacturer Lumotuli has created unique fireplace from concrete elements that are created by utilizing large scale printing technology and UPM biocomposite.
The fireplace manufacturer:
- Lumotuli, a startup company from Finland
- Fireplaces for barbequing
- Assembly of the fireplace is possible even without a professional installer
- Fireplace is energy-efficient and ecological
Main benefits of using UPM Formi 3D material:
- Scrap rate of concrete casting mould is virtually 0%
- Lead time is reduced to minimum
Easiness of mould installation
- The concrete casting moulds are 35% lighter compared to CNC milled ones
- Biobased materials are 100% recyclable
- UPM Formi 3D biocomposite is not only sustainable material but also has the right product properties for this purpose
Printing high overhangs
Self-supporting molten state properties and fast cooling enable round and other complex shapes to be produced. With UPM Formi 3D 20, it is possible to print up to 75-degree overhangs without support.
The biocomposite is a functional bio-based reinforcement fiber. Its carbon foot print is 50% less compared to traditional oil-based materials. UPM Formi 3D is 100% recyclable.
Wood-like post-processing with a matte surface texture makes UPM Formi 3D the ideal material for any further processing needs.