Large scale additive manufacturing (LSAM) transforms the way of producing large pieces. Granulate-based printing is 37 times faster than filament-based methods on average, enabling large constructions to be printed efficiently. UPM Formi 3D composite materials fits well to LSAM processes.
Main benefits of using UPM Formi 3D material for LSAM
- Scrap rate of production is virtually 0%
- Easy to print large constructions
- Weight of the parts is reduced to minimum
- Manufacturing without moulds
- Wood like post processing
New sustainable alternative
- Biobased materials are 100% recyclable
- Biocomposite is a sustainable material: the wood fibres originate from certified forests
- Long lead times of casting moulds. Significant amount of waste generated by CNC milling
3D printing of casting moulds enables:
- Sreamlined and simlified local mould production with minimum amout of manual work needed
- Faster lead time
- Significant mould weight reduction
- No waste / high material effiency
- Compatibility with plywood stuctures
Freedom of design for sustainable furniture manufacturing
- Efficient manufacturing without moulds
- Natural touch
- Several colour possibilities, by adding colour masterbatches during the printing process
Outstanding processing capabilities
UPM Formi 3D grades are safe and easy to print in open athmosphere.
Grade recommendation: UPM Formi 3D 20
UPM Formi 3D 20 is an excellent material for granulate-based 3D printing with large nozzles (2–8 mm) due to its dimensional stability.
- Self-supporting molten stage properties
- Improved first layer adhesion
- Shear thinning melt flow
- Fast cooling
- Extremely low shrinkage
- Cellulose fibres prevent the creation of internal stresses
- Soft to sand
- Improved paint absorption
Final prints can be further post-processed e.g. for outdoor use.
Photo illustrates adaptive layer height 3D printing of a perfect sphere (photo credit: Adaxis / Sculptur). See video.